Sunday, April 5, 2009

Rorschach's Journal, April 5th, 2009

Rorschach’s Journal, 5:04 pm, Sunday

Spent yesterday cleaning up after James. Managed to go out to get the paper and a snack and spent the afternoon reading and eating. Felt spoiled after nice surprise meal that Mrs. Rupert gave to me. Would have to return her plastic containers. Had no way of cleaning them, save for water rinsing. Had almost forgotten what cake had tasted like. It was good. Enough so I wanted more. Would have to find more somewhere. Preferably chocolate through and through.

New Frontiersmen was an interesting read yesterday. Hoped that today’s was interesting as well.

Been walking the streets with trusty sign again. It turned out to be a beautiful day, deep blue skies, balmy temperatures, happy people throwing decent things away. Managed to find coupons for cat food, energy bars, and vitamins. Needed all those things. Found a coupon for Gunga Diner. Gunga Diner? From New York? Pocketed that as well.

Wandered by Average Joes. At this hour, it looked slow and preparing to close. Dropped by the news stand for New Frontiersman and Washington Post. Pandering rag, but still useful to keep up on the local activity. Also to tear up for cat box.

On walk back home picked up Hoagie from Subway’s. Horrible horrible. Dear God how I missed New York food. Even this starving man has standards. Regardless, it was inexpensive food. Made quick work of it to get it over with. Saved some of the meat for my one other mouth to feed. The only thing that gave me comfort. James greeted me at the door.

James looked up at me, and with one meow he shot out of the door, streaked passed my feet and screeched to a stop just passed me. “JAMES” I shouted and dropped my sign, my newspaper and the remnants of my sandwich. James had a wily look in his eye and started to zig-zag down the hall. I chased after him, zig-zagging, waiving my arms to try to scoop him up. “God dammit, come back here!”

James then stopped, laid down on the hall carpet with his nails dug in and his tail wagging, the kitten crazy eyes flashed at me as he then returned down the hall back to the apartment, me stomping and flailing along the way. A few doors down the hall opened up to look at the commotion, as did Mr. Rupert across the hall. “JAMES, get back in there!” I yelled as he darted back in my door, turned and sat, casually licking one of his front paws as if to say, “I meant to do that.”

I simply stood in the doorway and looked down the hall at the two people who had opened their doors. They went back to their lives. Mr. Rupert laughed as he went back into his apartment as well.

I collected my papers, my sandwich, and signs and entered my apartment. “What’s wrong with you?” I questioned the cat, “Little stinker.” I rubbed his head a moment and sat down to read the papers.

New Frontiersman lead story, President Obama in Europe. I groaned. Again? Turned the page and found good article on unusual sun spots. Hurm.

For now, Rorschach

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice day (except for James running out--cats have a way of doing that)! What other kinds of neat stuff do you find in dumpsters? I have found some pretty good stuff in the garbage, such as an intact picnic basket and a perfectly good wicker dog bed.

    Chocolate is my favorite cake too. It's even better when it's dark chocolate.

    Sun spots, eh? What are they saying about them? Last I've heard that sunspot activity has been very low in the last few years. I remember back when I was a kid, sunspots and solar flares were frequent.

    Until next time,
    Redkora/Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for writing, Kate. I find other good things in the trash. The day I stayed in, I did go out for something to eat. Couldn't resist checking the dumpster behind the strip mall. Found good strong box for James. Put his pillow in it so that he may feel more comfortable.

    Also found half full pack of socks, my current ones have holes, small box of a single set of metal dinner cutlery with a knife missing. Fork and spoon work just fine. A small radio, larger than my own, with an electric cord so I don't have to keep buying batteries. And other odds and ends...to include a few rolls and two loaves of bread that the bakery had thrown out at the end of the day. They had double wrapped them so that the bread would not get soiled when placed near the garbage. An obvious attempt to feed homeless people without getting them sick. Took that, will have bread for days.

    I agree with you on Chocolate cake. I enjoy chocolate in any form, white, milk or dark or flavored. It is a treat I do not get very often.

    I remmber back in 1985 the sun spots were flaring up. That was back when Manhattan was on earth. As you know, events occured in 1985 that made for a very memorable year. After that, however, I have no memory....of them.

    For now, Rorschach

    ReplyDelete