Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rorschach's Journal, April 8th, 2009

Rorschach’s Journal, 9:16pm, Wednesday

Started the morning corralling James for his appointment. Truth be told, was a bit worried for him. But this was something that had to be done. Had put breathing holes in the box I’d brought home the other day, it was ready to transport him. Put his pillow in and then James. Made multiple attempts at putting him in box. Have some new scratches on back of hands. It amazed me how somehow his legs always seemed to find a way to purposely block being placed inside. Ultimately, I won the battle.

James’ feet poked through the breathing holes in the box as I secured the top by folding the four flaps into each other. “Roooooowwwwrrrr” the box moaned.

“James, this is for your own good.” I said to the box as I walked to the sink in the bathroom and washed my scratched hands. They stung a bit, but nothing serious.

Had taken $100 out of my special hiding place and stuffed it into my pocket. The vet’s fee was minimal, since they were a shelter. Their goal was to get the animals neutered, not to make a buck.

Then picked up the box and exited my apartment.

“Oh hello Mr. Novack.” The landlord said as he was exiting his apartment as well with a bag of trash. “How’s that eye there?” He commented with a bit of a friendly smile, “Man you got a real shiner! Does it still hurt?”

I stood holding my meowing box with a straight face, “A little. It’s improving.”

“Oh that must be the kitten in there.” Mr. Rupert said and frowned, “Listen, I’m sorry about that. I shoulda warned ya that he was wild before I gave him to you. The Mrs. told me he tripped you up and that’s why you fell and hurt your face.” He pressed his lips together looking solemn. “If you want, I could take him back if he’s too much trouble.”

I stepped back a moment, “No. I Love him.” Was my simple reply and I frowned a little. And then suddenly felt surprised with myself. I certainly was a man who felt passionate about many things, such as injustice and fair treatment, but it was one of the few times I actually admitted that I had love for another creature. Couldn’t even say that about my own mother.

Heh heh, I understand, they worm their way into your hearts don’t they? Where you takin’ him?”

“Neutering and check up.” I looked at my watch, “Excuse me, don’t want to be late, Mr. Rupert.”

“Yeah, sure sure, good luck!”

I walked down the hall, down the stairs and out of the apartment complex. It wasn’t too long of a walk to the Humane Society. All the while I was thinking about what I’d said to Mr. Rupert. That I loved the little cat. He actually got my crime fighting obsessed mind off things once in a while. Made coming home more palatable. It took a cat to make me feel more human. “Hurm.” I muttered to myself as I stepped through the door.

Novacks, 9:00 appointment for James.” I said as I walked up to the receptionist. She smiled as she saw a brown stripped paw reach out of the box and a meow.

“Have a seat, Mr. Novacks the doctor will be with you in a moment.”

The appointment was fairly routine. They took James out of the box and removed him from sight. Told me they’d check him over and then give him shots and neuter him. Expected me back at 4:30 pm with $90. Ten dollars less than what was estimated. I’d use that to buy supplies for the both of us.

Spent my afternoon without sign. Odd sight, Doom prophet without his sign, but I left it back at the apartment. Was able to stop at the store and pick up a few things, and then went to the book store and browsed. A lot of junk at the book store. Too many tawdry materialistic romance type books. “The Devil Wears Prada?” “Twilight”? What on earth were people reading? Junk Food. I ended up with my New York Gazette, Washington Post and New Frontiersman and left.
Made quick phone call to non emergency services. Reported drunken ambulance drivers from night before. Anonymously, of course. Felt good about reporting.

Next on to coffee. It was getting to be a habit, however, I still had that free gift card, so I was fairly unashamed at the indulgence.

“Hey, it’s my partner in coffee!” I heard someone from behind. Miss Dorian had just gotten off work. Honestly I had forgotten that she usually came here after work. My mind had been preoccupied with the cat.

“Good after noon, how was work?” I questioned, raising the corners of my mouth in what for me constituted a smile. Dorian gave me a surprised look and then smiled as well.

“Oh God, horrible. That kid Todd is just the worst.” She said as the end of the line inched closer to the register. “What a slacker!”

“Teens these days, their parents don’t teach them to be respectful. Not like in my day.”

Dorian looked at me quizzically, “I know what you mean. We look to be about the same age, I remember those days well.”

For a moment I’d forgotten I was only 46. In all actually I should have been close to the 70s, closer to Dan Drieberg’s age. I’d grown up in the 50s. Had to be careful about slips of the tongue. Not sure she would understand the complications behind my presence here. Then again, she was a smart person.

“Um one humongous ice mocha frappaccino, heavy on the cream and…what are you drinking Mr. K?” She ordered and then spoke to me.

“Oh no, no, I’ve got mine.”

“Don’t be silly, let me treat you.” She said with a smile, “You take a tall drip right?”

I paused a moment, “Yes, I do.” I said, feeling uncomfortable a moment but letting it go. Was never really one to turn down free food.

Getting our coffee we went to sit, “You didn’t have to do that Miss Dorian, I had….”

“Mr. K, money’s tight for you and besides, can’t a friend buy a friend a cup of coffee?” She said as she sat down to drink. After I doctored my coffee and pocketed some sugar packets, I sat down as well.

“Well, thank you then.” I said and we sat a moment and enjoyed the coffee. “You can call me Walter if you like.” I said. I wanted to say “You can call me Rorschach if you like” but that wouldn’t have worked.

“Well, thanks Walter, You can call me Anita if you like.” She smiled. “No sign today?”

“Brought James to the clinic today.” I looked at her, my face still serious.

“James…oh your cat. Is he ok?”

“Neutering and shots.”

We spent some time discussing James when the proprietor switched the channel on the shop television from the shrill Oprah show to the news. Our attention was averted for a moment at the reports of a small child abducted the night before. I wondered if any of my papers had more details, I’d be interested in reading about the circumstances. I clenched my teeth a moment. “Of course, no one ever knows, do they?” I said with a frown.

“What?” Anita turned to me, “Oh no, I suppose not. I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the family was involved. Sometimes family can be the most brutal to each other, believe me I know.” She said as she looked back up to the television.

“So do I.” I said quietly, balled a fist, and finished my coffee. “Anita, I must go pick up James, it is about time.” I said as I looked at my watch. “Thank you for the coffee. I will stop in soon to check my email.”
Ok Walter, I’ll be seeing you soon.” She smiled as she continued to sit.

Exiting the coffee shop, feeling a little rattled again, I made my way to the clinic to pick up the cat. The surgery was routine and uneventful. Was told James would be groggy and may mess the floor a bit the first night. Not to let him jump for a few days. Wait an hour before feeding. Was given a piece of paper with instructions. Paid my money, took my things and James home. No meowing in the box. I assumed he was fast asleep. I walked gingerly as to not disturb him.

Made my way back up to my flat and placed the box down gently. Opened it to find James looking up at me with groggy eyes. I stroked him from nose to tail and he started to purr. “There there, get some sleep, hellion.” I said as I smiled at him. A second smile today. Hurm. This smile was broader and loving toward my little pet.

I settled down and read my newspapers a while. Read in New Frontiersman and in Washington Post about string of child kidnappings in the area, both in DC as well as Northern Virginia, in the Alexandria area. Troubling. The pattern was right along the borderline and all the children were between the ages of 5 and 7. I wondered if I pressed a few of the local bars if any of them would know anything at all. Hurm, maybe another trip to Benders to squeeze some people. There were a few other bars at which I’d made my presence known. Would have to visit them as well.

Just as I thought about my plan I looked over to find James had gotten out of his box and was attempting to use the litter. He was wobbly on his feet and I ended up having to help him get his back end into the box. Looks like I was to play nurse maid for tonight. Thursday night I start investigating.

For now, Rorschach

3 comments:

  1. Animals have a way of melting hearts. They're so innocent, you know? They make the best companions. You sound like a very good cat parent! I hope James feels better soon, for I know it can hurt to see one's pet going through the recovery process. He'll be all the better for it, though!

    As for the kidnappings, that's horrible. What's wrong with people that they feel the need to torment children? Many times, I feel that we don't punish child predators nearly enough. I don't understand as to why they're allowed out of prison so soon.

    Anyway, that's enough of my soapbox. Enjoy your time caring for James! I think your relationship with him will be even deeper for it, and you'll be touched by his displays of gratitude. They don't always show it, but our animal companions appreciate what we do!

    Take care, and safe hunting for when you start your investigations.

    Redkora/Kate (take your pick)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor James, I hope that he recovers quickly - well, he's got a great nurse. My cats and dog are some of my best friends, so I can understand how you feel.

    That's terrible news about those children. I hope that you will be able to discover some relevant information when you investigate tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I have a suggestion for when you go out tonight. James will still be recoving, if the recovery from being neutered is anything like the recovery from being spayed (maybe AC can correct me on this, I've only kept female cats).

    I have tried this method with kittens and cats when I needed to leave for a time, and it seemed to work well.

    To give him comfort, James may like an article of your clothing in his box with him. It will have your smell on it, so he won't feel as loney. Be aware, though, that he may soil on it if he still has trouble getting out to use his litterbox.

    Safe hunting.

    ReplyDelete