Thursday, March 26, 2009

Rorschach's Journal, March 26th, 2009

Rorschach’s Journal 4:01pm, Thursday

The day of Sandra Whitaker’s funeral. Dreary, wet, cold. Dressed as Walter Kovacs. Didn’t attend ceremony, only watched from distance, pretending to visit another grave. Winston Orem, 1898-1990. Rest in Peace, Winston.

I watched as the funeral procession pulled up, hearse at the head of the line, such as it was. Apparently funeral occurred at a local church, and now the body was being brought to the grave site. Not sure how I would have been able to attend service, not that I was all that interested in honoring the woman, however I would have been curious to see who had been there. Wondered if any of Jace’s “friends” attended at all.

Only three cars appeared with the hearse. And of course, infernal paparazzi. Looked the way of the tombstone occasionally, to keep my cover. I had not been too far away from Sandra’s ultimate resting place, wanted to hear what was being said.

Not much, actually. Some prayers, benedictions, a little crying. No one I recognized. A tall man with black hair and a fine suit. Caught him in a smile once in a while, when he thought no one was looking. Hurm. Suspicious. He was accompanied by a short blond woman and a boy child, all dressed very well.

A few other innocuous mourners threw flowers on the coffin. Short service. Mourners left.

I stayed around till the cemetery caretakers closed up the mausoleum marble front. They draped the flowers from the funeral around the front of the grave and dispersed.
Wandering passed, I stopped at the excessively expensive crypt. “Your daughter didn’t die, at least there’s that.” I said as I turned and left.

Will have to watch the news tonight, to see if there was any new news on Shari Whitaker. Suspicious of the man at the funeral. Not sure of the connection. Lover? Enemy? Will need to warn Shari to be careful….if she indeed her condition improves. Will check with hospital tomorrow.

For now, Rorschach

3 comments:

  1. Not only are you a brilliant investigator, but you're a very compassionate as well. You make the world a better place in more ways than one. Hope that you and James managed to share a warm meal/drink when you returned home. Keeping Shari in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AC, thank you for the compliments. I am not used to them. Most of the time people tell me off, all the way down to Dan, the closest person I had to a friend. It has been interesting to own a cat. I have found it both interesting and comforting. I am still considering getting him a leash, however. I wonder how that will increase the street donations! Hurm, will have to try.

    For now, Rorschach

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll second what AC said. It's nice to see that someone as hard-boiled and methodical as yourself can be compassionate.

    Perhaps that's part of your charisma among many. They not only respect your keeping to your values, your courage, intelligence, but they also sense a glimmer of kindness there.

    As for James on a leash, sometimes cats act as if they can't walk when they're on a leash. Just be careful that James doesn't suddenly want to take off after birds and scramble up trees!

    ReplyDelete