Sunday, March 29, 2009

Rorschach's Journal, March 29th, 2009

Rorschach’s Journal, 10:32pm, Sunday

Wandering U Street, bad part of town. Still thinking about the events of the last few days, Sandra’s selfishness, pointless murder, Shari’s gratitude. Thoughts of Dan as well. Wondered where he was. How he was doing. How his kids, my Godchildren, were. Needed to visit library Monday. Perhaps can investigate further.

Warm today, night slightly cooler, but still only in the 50s. Never a fan of warm weather. Not a fan of cold weather either. Not looking forward to melting in the Washington DC heat.

Streets empty tonight. Made for slim hunting. Hard to believe someone isn’t being attacked or not dealing tonight. Maybe spring fever. Would think Spring Fever would drive people out into the streets.

Turned corner, two shadows. This was more like it. Stepped into the shadows myself. Crept closer.

“I’ll buy whatever you have on you.”

“Is that so? I have a lot on me.”

The two bickered. One desperate for drugs, the other pressing hard for a profit, knowing he had a sucker.

“Look man just tell me what the hell you want!”

“$300 for the whole thing. Best rock in town.”

“$300, Jesus Christ! How about for half? Let’s make a deal.”

“Aw Sh*t man don’t be jerking my chain, first you want it, now you wanna bargain. You asked, I told you, now you want it or not? And I ain’t doin’ no checks either. Damn fool.”

“How about nothing for neither of you?” I stepped out of the shadows right next to both of them.

“What?” The young buyer turned, surprise on his drug worn face.

“Oh Crap!” The dealer shouted and turned to run.

I grabbed him by the collar to keep him from running as well as swept a leg around to topple over the buyer. With the buyer down and scrambling I then leaped up and came down hard on the pusher with my elbow. “No dealing tonight.” The pusher was stunned as I then turned to the buyer. “Any last requests?” I said as I reached down and picked up his ankle.

“No man, please, I’m desperate! Can’t you see, I’m stuck, I’m hooked, I’m….”

“Go to rehab, I hear they can treat your drug addiction while giving you physical therapy.” I twisted the man’s ankle sharply. He screamed. I hadn't twisted hard. He must already had been high. Vermin.

By then the pusher had gotten to his feet and started to run. Took off after him. He seemed to think he was some great athlete. Though I’m getting older, I kept in shape. Quite easy to keep up with him.

Before he could get very far, tripped him up and smashed him into the cement. Pressed knee against spine and clamped hand around back of neck. Ground his face into the pavement.

“What the hell are you! Get the F*ck off me!”

“Tell your ‘Posse’ I’ll be watching them. Next time I find you out here, I’ll kill you. Do you understand?” I ground his face more, “Understand?”

“Yeah yeah, man, oh God!”

A moment later, I was off the dealer and back out into the shadows. He laid there quite a while before getting up and limping off.

The other had staggered away as well. Perhaps he wasn’t a terrible person, merely hooked by demonic drugs, however, what did it matter. Without help if I killed him or the drugs killed him either way he’d be dead. He was lucky tonight. Hopefully this changed his life somehow. If not, I’d see him again.

Wandered out of the area, hands in pocket. Yes, quiet tonight. Only one scuffle.

Managed to walk a long while uneventfully. Made it to the National Mall. Liked it there. Serene. Couldn’t resist peaking through the garbage. Tourists sometimes deposited the best gifts. Found half a pack of cigarettes. Destroyed them. They are no good to anyone. Also found a few detached pompoms from a child’s winter coat. Good cat toys. Pocketed them.

Sat on park bench, stared at Capital. Symbol of freedom. Nice spring night.

For now, Rorschach

2 comments:

  1. You make a night out fighting crime seem so idyllic!

    Only two troublemakers - maybe that's a good sign for the future. Probably not. But the world's a safer place with you in it. If only you could persuade some of those politicians to clean up their act.

    Once this case is cleared up and you've found Dan's address, you might enjoy visiting with him and your Godchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It helps to fight crime in a interesting city, I think. Spring time comes earlier in DC than it does in New York, and I do like the National Mall, though I do miss Central Park. Sometimes. Got hurt pretty badly in Central Park once, so I'm not too enamored of it.

    Hurm, visiting Dan and his children. Something to think about.

    For now, Rorschach

    ReplyDelete