Monday, March 30, 2009

Rorshach's Journal, March 30th, 2009

Rorschach’s Journal, 2:25pm Monday

Elbow a little sore. Must have hit drug dealer at odd angle. Perhaps arthritis. No, even Rorschach can be in denial about that.

Spent the morning in a whipping wind. March weather so unpredictable. Got a few extra donations because of it. Must have looked pathetic trying to hold on to sign that was acting like a sail. Weather cleared up and sun came out at about 11:30.

Have a little money still left from the $20 yesterday. Chicken was delicious; James and I polished it off. He is growing every day. Soon he’ll not be roly poly kitten any longer. With donations today and tomorrow maybe possible to get him a collar and better quality cat food.

Today to the library. Needed computer again. Same routine as before, check sign with Miss Dorian, exchange pleasantries and then off to computer. Dorian was her smiling self and made sure she was on hand for the patrons should the need arise. Good worker.

I sat at the infernal computer, looked up Gus Sandler. Not sure how much I was going to get or if I were to get any leads. To Google first. Nothing on Simply Gus Sandler. Tried a few other key words. Found something on combination of Gus Sandler+Whitaker+art. Gus was assistant to the director of the art museum. Formerly art trader. Worked for Waterman house. Hurm, a name I’d seen before. Was that where J.S. Riley worked? Could be how he met Sandra? Photo of all three together. Looked happy. Perhaps illicit affair. Breakup of the Riley/Whitaker marriage. But what of his? Listed as married with two children.

Decided to use remaining time to create email address. Not sure how to contact Dan, but perhaps if I made an email address somehow I’d find him. Absolutely no way was I to put my name down anywhere, but what would I pick if I was to make an address that would be obvious to Dan?

I sat for a long while and then looked over to Miss Dorian. She waived and then came over to me. “Yes, Mr. K, do you have a question?”

“I’d like to create an email address. What service would you suggest?” I questioned in probably what was more than Dorian ever heard me say all at one time.

“I like Yahoo. If you type that in it ought to take you through the steps.”

“Thank you, Miss Dorian.” I said as I typed in her instructions.

“You’re quite welcome Mr. K. “She said as she turned her head. Someone was trying to get her attention. “Excuse me, if you don’t mind.”

“Not at all.” I said, continuing to focus on the computer. www.yahoo.com. Ok. Easy enough and there is creating new account. Put in similar name. Thankfully didn’t ask for address. No one had taken the name I’d wanted. WKbeanjuice. Seemed to work. First and last initial and something from that night when I visited Dan’s apartment when the Comedian died. Tossed him the smiley button with blood on it. He asked me if the spot was Bean Juice. Really amused me.

Typed in idiotic code at bottom screen a dozen times because all the letter number combinations were so mixed up it was hard to tell what they were. I supposed they did that to make sure it was real people signing up and not a computer. Infernal computers.

With that, I’d check in a few days to see if there was anything at all coming up.

Finishing my time at the computer I stood and turned to leave. Miss Dorian smiled as she handed me my sign.

“Mr. K, are you off to Average Joes? “ She questioned.

“Er, yes.”

“I’ll walk with you, I’m just off work and I’m on my way there too.” She paused, “If that’s ok. I don’t want to impose.” She lost her smile.

“No no, it’s fine.” I said as we headed out the door.

Dorian walked next to me the short distance to the coffee shop. “You should come to the library more often. We are starting a feature table with featured books of the month. I’ll be in charge of that. Just different ideas and book suggestions.”

“True, I should read more.” I said, “Would be interesting to look through the latest News Papers. “

“Oh we have everything!” She said, enthusiastically.

Hurm, I usually get my favorite at the new stand, but sometimes it’s sold out. Back in New York the man used to put one aside for me. But this one can’t be bothered.”

“Which one? I mean I hope we carry it.”

“New Frontiersman. “

“Oh right that’s the one with Rorschach’s Journal. Sure, we carry that, though I have to say, it’s a bit too conservative for my tastes.”

I frown. “I suppose it’s not for everyone.” I concede. “To be honest, I line the litter pan with the older ones.” I felt embarrassed to say. Miss Dorian burst into uproarious laughter.

“Oh I ‘m sorry, no offense, that just struck me as very funny. With the exception of Rorschach’s Journal some of it belongs in the litter pan.” She looked at me, slight offense on my face. “Really, Rush Limbaugh? Come on.”

“Well. You have me there.” I conceded. Don’t care for Limbaugh. Too buffoonish to be of any good.

“So you have a cat?” She questioned. Not sure why but very easy to talk to Miss Dorian. Totally non threatening.

“I do. Brown tabby. James.”

“James, interesting name.”

“After my father. Well, his middle name.” Truth was, I had no idea what my father's middle name was. I knew his first name was Charlie, but didn't want to name cat that. Figured James was a fitting dignified middle name for my father.

“I have five!” Dorian admitted, “I keep finding them! I must have sign on the door, all cats welcome.” She said. “Get this, I have a dog too.” She laughed.

“It’s hard enough to take care of one, but five?” I said as we reached the coffee shop. Conversation dropped a little as the coffee shop was quite busy. We both ordered and waited and then left. There would be no sitting on couches, watching television.

“I should get home. Nice talking to you Mr. K.” She waved as she started to leave.

“Good bye, Miss Dorian.”

I stood there a moment. Yes, this city, friendlier than the last city. Needed to be careful who to associate with. Felt comfortable that Dorian was a good person. I wondered if something should happen to me, would she take James in? I bet she would. Will keep that in mind. Write it down somewhere.

Took my coffee and wandered the streets back to my place to rest a while. Count the money. Have a cat sit on my lap.

For now, Rorschach

3 comments:

  1. Nice to see you active. I hope you didn't hurt yourself too much last night.

    No kidding about the weather in March. Here in the Houston area, the temperatures went from being in the high 70s to the 60s and windy this weekend. Then again, weather in the Houston area is a bit unpredictable anyway.

    Do you think that the information you gathered about Gus gave you enough to go on? Maybe you can do some research on Waterman House to see what kind of sceme may be going on in there?

    I don't know about hanging around the art museum again for a bit. Some "people" may make connections.

    The username you chose got a chuckle out of me. Savvy! Hopefully you and Dan can get together at some point so you can blow off some steam with him and his kids. Also, since you're going across the country, you're free to come by my place in Texas if you need supplies.

    "Infernal computer..." I can relate. There are times when it would be nice to just throw the darn thing out the window.

    As for Limbaugh, I see him as, as he himself put it, a water carrier for the Republicans. Limbaugh just seems to strut around and blow off while not saying anything of substance, in my opinion. There are more interesting folks on the radio.

    Enjoy your rest, and take care of yourself! You can't rid the streets of criminals in bad shape. Give James a cuddle for me. Miss Dorian sounds like a lovely lady!

    As I said, I don't always comment, but I read your journals every day. They're enjoyable, and they make me do thinking outside of grad school.

    Goodnight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that your elbow is feeling better.

    That's a clever email address. It's readily identifiable for Dan and it will give him an easy way to confirm your identity when he responds.

    Miss Dorian sounds like she might make a good friend. And I'm sure that she would care for James if you decided to travel across country.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. I figured that beanjuice might be something that Dan will remember. I hope he will remember it. If he even wants to. It's been so long, not sure he wants to hear from me any longer. That woman of his might have something to do with it. Always complaining. Fortunately, not all women are like that. As I grow farther and farther away from my childhood I realize that now.

    Miss Dorian is a nice person. There are a few out there, I'm forced to admit. Not everyone is a deviant. I remind myself that.

    I will not go near the art museum. You all are right, I need to distance myself from it. I am not sure how Gus Sandler is connected, however if he runs it I want to be far far away. Perhaps talk to Shari again about it, if I ever see her again. Case may have to be open for a while. Grrr, I hate loose ends. But eventually the truth will out.

    For now, Rorschach

    ReplyDelete