Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Rorschach's Journal, March 31st, 2009

Rorschach’s Journal 2:45pm, Tuesday

Sunny nice day, perfect balance between warm and cool. Made for nice wandering. Made it a point to visit Cherry Blossoms at the tidal basin, located at Jefferson Memorial, just beyond the National Mall.

The tidal basin was aglow in light pink fluffs of flowers. Lots of tourists, unfortunately, however, just tried to get lost in the beauty of it all. Sat for a while on steps of the Memorial, and looked over the water toward the Washington Monument. Sign in hand. Sometimes I didn’t feel like the End was Nigh. It was still a good cover. Now with the new threat of missiles from Iran and North Korea and sneak attacks, the End could be closer than it was back in the 80s.

Picked up my things and wandered back toward the city. Not much collected today. Even the trash was fairly plain. James enjoyed the pompoms I had brought home the other day. Now to look for anything else that may be of use. Had to be discreet. Didn’t’ want to arouse police suspicion. Found that police force a little more numerous in this city, however, not necessarily more efficient, or intelligent, for that matter.

Found an old bell. Pocketed that. Some aluminum cans. Crushed those, put in pocket. A book. Who would throw a book away? “Adventures of Tom Sawyer”. Twain. Good entertainment. Pocket. Ah! A lightly read issue of today’s New Frontiersman! Saved some money! Tucked that under arm and strolled off, happy I had my favorite newspaper.

Wandered over to my usual street corner and sat a while. Usually good donations there. For a moment watched people pass as I sat on some steps and warmed my fingers. Fingerless gloves, what was I thinking?

Suddenly a man in a suit stood before me. He had on an overcoat and carried a briefcase. “Excuse me. I wonder if you may be Walter? The art lover?” He said kindly.

I gazed at him with mistrust. “Er.”

“I’ve been wandering all over this city looking for you. This is from my client, I am her legal representative. She thanks you for your advice. And wants me to tell you a visit would be nice. She’ll be discharged Thursday.” He said as he handed me a small 6 x 8 manila envelope and excused himself.

Staring at the back of the man as he left I wondered if he just handed me a bomb of some sort. I tossed the envelope on the ground and stomped on it a moment. Nothing happened. I tore a corner off. No, I’m still in tact. Throwing caution to the wind I open the envelope. Note inside. “Walter, this is Shari. I know you said you hadn’t wanted me to give you anything, but please, I now consider you my friend and I’m very grateful to you for your kindness. I hope I’m not overstepping my bounds, but it would make me very happy if you accepted this as a small token of my appreciation. And dude, come see me I’m bored stiff!”

Wrapped in plain paper was a small bundle of money. For a moment it made me uncomfortable, but at the same time, it was touching that someone thought well of me to thank me this way. I tucked the money into a pocket and hurriedly walked to an out of the way spot off the street. Didn’t want anyone to see me count it.

“20, 40, 60, 80….” I whispered to myself. “220, 240, 260, 280…” I continued. Dumbfounded. A thousand dollars total, all in crumpled up used looking 20s. Nothing new and nothing conspicuous. I couldn’t keep this. No way. NO. Thoughts of James. Thoughts of Shari. It was what she wanted. I comforted myself in knowing that I didn’t ask for this money. That it was given freely. I pocketed it and decided to hurry home. No meeting with Miss Dorian today, I needed to get my treasure home to a safe place. Perhaps I could finally get James checked out at the clinic for his wellness check. Squirrel away the rest for emergencies. And for a moment, for a fleeting moment, I felt a drop of glee. Something I hadn’t experienced in quite a while.

Arriving home safe, I stashed the money in the floor board and picked up James and sat with him a while before spreading out the newspaper and sitting down to read. Yes, it had been a nice day.

For Now, Rorschach

3 comments:

  1. Wonderful! I'm glad you kept the money. You deserve it for everything you did for Shari and everything you do to keep the streets clean. Besides, James will be a very happy kitty!

    Also, to repeat what we have been saying, be careful. Traps and snares can lurk around every corner. Hopefully that lawyer is of the honest sort and will protect Shari.

    I have to say that I'm a bit worried by North Korea, too. Hopefully this mess can be resolved without people lobbing nukes at one another.

    Enjoy the reading and trinkets you found! What's in the New Frontiersman today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you accepted the money as well. It'll provide you and James with a little security. Not only did you earn it, but your acceptance will make Shari very happy.

    Frankly, I'm not worried about N. Korea or Iran. This won't go down well, but the U.S. is the only country to ever use nuclear weapons and to constantly threaten to use them against other countries, i.e. Iran for example. While insisting that Iran etc. can not have nuclear weapons, the Bush administration started constructing a new generation of nukes. After the invasion and occupation of Iraq - to the tune of over a million dead - I'm far more concerned about what America is doing. As with Veidt, the end does not justify the means. But then, I suspect, that I have the minority opinion.

    On a lighter note, my favourite newspaper, The Guardian, printed an article for April's Fool Day. This year they described how they intended to abandon the paper format for Twitter, commenting that there was no subject matter which could not be adequately covered by the 140 word twitter format. It scared me for a moment until I realized that it was April 1st. Does the New Frontiersmen ever celebrate April Fool's Day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, AC, don't worry about expressing your opinion here. You're safe with us.

    ReplyDelete