Saturday, March 28, 2009

Rorschach's Journal, March 28th, 2009

Rorschach’s Journal, 2:46pm, Saturday

Spent part of the day collecting recyclables for cash. Lucky day, found 20 dollar bill in the garbage. Slightly folded. Someone must have thrown it away by mistake. Will go buy cat food and some supplies later.

Dropped signs off at apartment. Patted James a while before cleaning self up a bit. Only sink and toilet in bathroom, had to make due. Didn’t want to go to Hospital smelling bad. If they didn’t recognize my face surely they’d notice bad smell.

Left apartment, quick ride on metro. Metro does not go to Georgetown, needed to walk a while to reach hospital. Still, not too bad and the spring day, though drizzly, was a welcome change from winter time. Picked a branch of cherry blossom on the way.

Stopped at front desk. “Looking for Shari Whitaker’s room.” I questioned the overly smiley receptionist.

“Oh yes, she’s taking visitors now. Let me see…” He looked at his computer screen, “Room 215. The elevators are just over there.” He pointed to the right. I nodded my thanks and waited for an elevator.

No elevator music, thankfully. No one on elevator either. The hospital seemed a bit quiet today for a city hospital.

Elevator released me on 2nd floor. Wandered out looking for signs that pointed to room 215. For a moment was caught with a start. Large statue of Virgin Mary stood in the corner. Her soft face greeted anyone who cared to approach. I had forgotten, Georgetown was a Catholic hospital. Though largely agnostic, I still tipped a respectful nod toward the Virgin and wandered in the direction of 215.

*knock knock*

“You must not be a nurse, come on in!” a female voice called out, somewhat weakly.

I wandered in, looking around the curtain. Hopefully she would be decent. It always seems that whenever anyone visits anyone else in the hospital a bed pan was being changed.

Shari, laying slightly propped up in bed, looked up. “Oh hey!” She said as she scrambled around for the television remote to turn the idiot box off. “Walter, I’m surprised to see you!” She said as she waived her good arm for me to approach.

“You’re looking remarkably well Miss Whitaker.” I said as I walked up to the bedside. I gave her a rare faint smile along with the cherry blossom sprig.

“Walter, I’m so happy to see someone who isn’t coming at me with a needle, thermometer, or cup of pills.” She rested her head back on her pillow.

“Well, surely, you’ve seen better than the likes of a vagrant.” I paused, “I just wanted to see how you were doing.”

Shari sighed, “I don’t know. I mean, I’m recovering, but…..” a tear welled in her eye, “I’m still confused about what happened, why, you know? I mean, mom and I hadn’t gotten along. I was just there to pick up my stuff.”

“At 1:30 in the morning?” I questioned absentmindedly.

“How did you know it was 1:30?” she asked.

“The news.” I offered in all seriousness.

“Oh.” She thought for a moment, “I thought that if I came in late she’d be asleep and I could just get my things and go.” She wiped her tear. “And that man was there, the one with the black and white mask. The one who helped me the other night.”

I knit my brows, “Who helped you?” I questioned, to throw off suspicion.

“I don’t know, the other night, this man in this moving black and white spotted mask came in to the bar and broke some of the gang’s fingers and then that was when he pulled me out of there, after Jace slugged me.” Her face winced and she started to cry. “I don’t know what I’d have done, actually. I knew Jace was the wrong kind of people but I had no idea until that night that it was so bad.” She looked up, the redness of her eyes accenting their blue color, “Do you know who that was?”

“I’ve heard of him.” I said, succinctly, “Word of him gets around the streets, his name is Rorschach. He protects the innocent.” I paused, “Did you tell the police about him?”

“No, I was afraid he’d get in trouble. Same as the other night too. He was there. I guess he was talking to Mom about what happened. I’ve been watching on the news. She was the one who killed Jace and shot me. I just can’t believe she’d do something that drastic.”

I patted her forearm, “Drugs and alcohol make a lot of people do drastic things.”

“Yeah, but Mom was always a control freak. Must have been that guy she was seeing.”

“Guy?” I questioned.

“Gus Sandler.” She shook her head. “He’s got something to do with the museum, I think.”

Hurm.”

“Do you suppose that mom was trying to shoot this Rorschach guy? Is he ok, you think?”

“I think he is. It’s hard to kill him.” I said, not revealing too much.

Shari cried again, “What do I do now. Walter, I’m all alone now.”

I clumsily tried to comfort her, “I met a nun the other day, when I was at the exhibit. She seemed to want to help me. I guess I looked in need. She said her name in passing, Sister Agnes. I believe. She said she was there to help. You can find her at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception. I’d start there. Tell her that red haired homeless looking man from the Michelangelo Exhibit sent you. I have a feeling she’ll know who.” I paused, “Don’t tell anyone you are going there.”

“How come?” Shari’s eyebrows knit together with concern,

“Because if this Gus Sandler had anything to do with pushing your mother over the edge, he might try something with you.”

“Oh crap.” Shari looked a little frightened.

“Next, I would hire a lawyer, the best you can find. Shari you’re inheriting a massive fortune, you need to be protected and as much as I hate lawyers, they can be good for something.”

Shari perked up, “Walter let me help you.” She said, looking enthusiastic.

“No, it’s ok.”

“No I want to help you. Youv’e helped me let me help you.”

“Just get better.” I said, uncomfortable at being given money or benefits without earning them.

Shari looked at me a moment, “Thank you. You’ll visit again won’t you?” She questioned.
“I don’t know. I…..hospitals trouble me.” I said as I twirled the ring on my finger and pulled it off. I handed it to her. “I thought you might want this.”

“What….?” She took the ring.

“Your father’s ring. I found it near the museum. Pays off staring at the ground for loose change. Thought it would be good for you to have something to remember your father by.”

Shari looked up and smiled gently, “Thank you.” She said. “That means a lot to me.” She raised her good arm for a hug.

I was frozen a moment. No one ever asked for a hug before, not in all my life. No wait, I take that back, there were plenty of women who wanted something out of Rorschach, one way or another. There were a lot of, how do they put it, Fangirls, out there. It was something I found very strange. But no one ever wanted to be near Walter Kovacs before.
I leaned in and let her hug me.

“You have to promise to come back to see me.” She smiled.

“Well, I can promise I’ll try.” I said, “You should rest.”

“Tell Rorschach, if you see him around, that I’m ok, and tell him thank you. Tell him, his secret is safe.” She smiled.

I nodded, “Bye.” I waived as I exited the room. What did she mean his secret was safe? Did she know Rorschach and I were one in the same? No, not possible, she continued to tell me things to tell him and she had no deceit in her face when she said it. I left it at that and reached for my finger absently, finding no ring there. The absence of the ring on my finger was noticeable. Oddly, I missed it. I was glad it went back to it’s rightful owner, however. And I am glad I hadn’t pawned it either.”

Passing the Virgin Mary in the hallway, I nodded in her direction again. The Mother of Mercy. Hopefully the nuns will help Shari.

Leaving the hospital I stopped by the grocery store on the way home. James would eat well tonight. A roast chicken for us to share.

For now, Rorschach

3 comments:

  1. I think you did splendidly. You let her talk and gave comfort without being condenscending. You're very kind to take time to see her.

    I don't think it would be wrong of you to accept help from Shari, given what you did for her. I respect your prinicples, though, if it makes you uncomfortable.

    As for hugging, well, I must confess that I'd want to hug you too. You deserve kindness! However, I understand if it makes you uneasy. I suppose it would be a handshake, then?

    So, this Gus fellow. Looks as if you have a new lead, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The art business is certainty nefarious. Crime always seems to follow the money.

    I'm glad that Shari is feeling so much better.

    Hope you and James enjoyed your chicken dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your kind words. Definately not used to hugging, but...didn't hate it. Perhaps it's better coming from someone who is sincere.

    I may rethink accepting something from Shari, however, she's been through so much, don't want to feel I took advantage of the situation for money. But I might, for Jame's sake.

    The chicken was wonderful! How do they make it so tender? Mother used to cook a chicken sometimes, and it was always so dry and flavorless. Hurm. Too bad I don't have an oven, I wouldn't mind giving it a try.

    Come to think of it, Easter is coming up. Need to look at soup kitchen schedule for dinner!

    for now, Rorschach

    ReplyDelete